Seven journalism educators awarded the Medal of Merit by JEA
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
The Journalism Education Association (JEA) announced today that seven individuals have been named new recipients of the Medal of Merit, an honor awarded each year to recognize exceptional service to JEA, state and regional scholastic journalism associations and the teaching profession at large.
This year’s Medal of Merit recipients include:
- Jeanne Acton-Shanks, University Interscholastic League, Austin, Texas
- Kelly Furnas, MJE, Elon University, Elon, North Carolina
- Nancy Hastings, MJE, Highland, Indiana
- Brian D. Hayes, MJE, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
- Aaron Manfull, MJE, Francis Howell North High School, St. Charles, Missouri
- Margie Raper, MJE, Highland Park High School, Dallas, Texas
- Mitch Ziegler, CJE, Redondo Union High School, Redondo Beach, California
Each of the Medal of Merit winners will be honored at the awards ceremony on Nov. 18 at the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Dallas.