JEA awards five educators the Medal of Merit
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
The Journalism Education Association (JEA) announced today that five individuals will be recipients of the Medal of Merit, an honor awarded each year to recognize exceptional service to JEA, state and regional scholastic journalism associations and the teaching profession at large.
This year’s Medal of Merit recipients include:
- Susan Gregory, MJE, adviser at Conestoga High School in Berwin, Pennsylvania
- Jim McGonnell of New Smyrna Beach, Florida, past adviser at Findlay High School in Findlay, Ohio
- Sue Skalicky, MJE, high school journalism teacher/adviser at Legacy High School in Bismarck, North Dakota
- Nancy Y. Smith, MJE, adviser at Lafayette High School in Wildwood, Missouri
- Stan Zoller, MJE, of Buffalo Grove, Illinois, director-at-large of JEA’s board and Diversity Committee chair
Each of the Medal of Merit winners will be honored at the awards ceremony on Nov. 12 at the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Indianapolis.