CSPA honors 10 Walsworth yearbooks with scholastic Gold and Silver Crowns
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
Five 2016 high school yearbooks printed by Walsworth Yearbooks received Gold Crowns from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) today, with another five 2016 Walsworth books earning Silver Crowns.
The 2016 high school and middle school Gold and Silver Crown winners were named during the closing session at CSPA’s annual Spring Scholastic Convention at Columbia University in New York City. CSPA originally named the Crown Finalists in December.
The 2016 Walsworth yearbooks named Gold Crowns were:
- Hauberk, Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, Kansas
- Legend, Boone High School, Orlando, Florida
- The Lair, Shawnee Mission Northwest High School, Shawnee, Kansas
- The Scrapbook, Westfield Middle School, Westfield, Indiana
- Wings, Arrowhead Christian Academy, Redlands, California
The 2016 Walsworth yearbooks named Silver Crowns were:
- Apollo, Colonial Forge High School, Stafford, Virginia
- Campus, Kiski Area High School, Vandergrift, Pennsylvania
- Indian, Shawnee Mission North High School, Overland Park, Kansas
- Munhintou, Gresham High School, Gresham, Oregon
- The Wildcat, Harding Academy, Searcy, Arkansas
The Crown Awards, Gold and Silver, are among the nation’s highest awards for scholastic journalism. Both regular and associate members of CSPA participate in the awards, which honor overall excellence of the publication in concept, design, coverage and photography. The yearbooks are judged by a panel of journalism and journalism education professionals.
The 2016 Tower yearbook from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California, was named a Gold Crown winner by CSPA this past weekend at the College Media Convention in New York City. The Tower was printed by Walsworth Yearbooks, and was the only 2016 college yearbook to receive a Gold Crown. Three other college yearbooks were nominated as Crown Finalists, and received Silver Crowns.