CSPA announces scholastic Gold and Silver Crown winners for 2017 yearbooks
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
Four 2017 high school yearbooks printed by Walsworth Yearbooks received Gold Crowns from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Friday, with another 11 2017 Walsworth books earning Silver Crowns.
The 2017 high school and middle school Gold and Silver Crown winners were named during the closing session at CSPA’s annual Spring Scholastic Convention at Columbia University in New York City. CSPA originally named the Crown Finalists this past November.
The 2017 Walsworth yearbooks named Gold Crowns were:
- Decamhian, Del Campo High School, Fair Oaks, California
- Hauberk, Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, Kansas
- Lair, Shawnee Mission Northwest High School, Shawnee, Kansas
- Wings, Arrowhead Christian Academy, Redlands, California
The 2017 Walsworth yearbooks named Silver Crowns were:
- Apollo, Colonial Forge High School, Stafford, Virginia
- Azimuth, The Benjamin Middle School, North Palm Beach, Florida
- Fusion, Hagerty High School, Oviedo, Florida
- Hoofbeats, Burges High School, El Paso, Texas
- Indian, Shawnee Mission North High School, Overland Park, Kansas
- Legend, William R. Boone High School, Orlando, Florida
- Odyssey, University High School, Orange City, Florida
- Predator, West Potomac High School, Alexandria, Virginia
- The Legend, El Dorado High School, El Paso, Texas
- The Lion, McKinney High School, McKinney, Texas
- The Raider, Gulliver Preparatory School, Miami, Florida
The following 2017 yearbooks, which are new Walsworth Yearbooks schools for 2018, were also named as winners on Friday:
- Hilsborean, Hillsborough High School, Tampa, Florida
- Panther, H.B. Plant High School, Tampa, Florida
- The Arena, Legacy High School, Mansfield, Texas
The Crown Awards, Gold and Silver, are among the nation’s highest awards for scholastic journalism. Members of CSPA participate in the awards, which honor overall excellence of the publication in concept, design, coverage and photography. The yearbooks are judged by a panel of journalism and journalism education professionals.
The 2017 Tower yearbook from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California, was named a Collegiate Gold Crown winner by CSPA this past weekend at the College Media Convention in New York City. The Tower was printed by Walsworth Yearbooks.