Walsworth Yearbooks schools shine as Finalists named in NSPA’s 2020 Design of the Year Contest
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
Submissions from nine Walsworth Yearbooks schools were named Finalists by the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) this month in its 2020 Design of the Year Contest.
In each of the contest’s categories, 10 finalists were named. In the Yearbook Spread category, six of the finalists were from Walsworth schools. They included:
- Lilli Haire and Lauren Shore from the Clarion staff at Davie County High School in Mocksville, North Carolina
- Christine Berberian from the El Corazon staff at El Camino Real Charter School in Valley Village, California
- Kate Perez from the Raider staff at Gulliver Prep School in Miami, Florida
- Kayla Thompson from the Lion staff at McKinney High School in McKinney, Texas
- Bridgette Hahn, Jayden Murray and Kayla Ramos from the Fusion staff at Hagerty High School in Oviedo, Florida
- Allison Dragoo from the Horizon staff at Blue Valley Northwest High School in Overland Park, Kansas
Another finalist in Yearbook Spread, Rachel Lane and Reagan Petersen from the Ledoian staff at Aledo High School in Aledo, Texas, is a new Walsworth Yearbooks school for this school year.
Three Walsworth schools were among the 10 finalists in the Yearbook Theme Package category. They included:
- Carolina Arredondo, Romario Gonzalez and Lia Rodriguez, The Legend, El Dorado High School, El Paso, Texas
- Lilly Henkle, Rose Orrick and Nina Trouve, Le Flambeau, Notre Dame de Sion High School, Kansas City, Missouri
- Sydney Anderson, Leah Boatman, Sydney Caldwell, Abby McAdams and Kayla Thompson, The Lion, McKinney High School, McKinney, Texas
In the Illustration category, Ella Hutnick from the Horizon staff at Blue Valley Northwest was named for her graphics about the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.
All of the Finalists for the 2020 Design of the Year Contest can be viewed at the NSPA website.
Winners in each category will be announced at this weekend’s virtual JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention. The awards ceremony will take place on Saturday, Nov. 21 at 1 p.m., Central time.