El Dorado staff wins NSPA Design of the Year for Theme Package
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
Carolina Arredondo, Romario Gonzalez and Lia Rodriguez from Walsworth Yearbooks school El Dorado High School in El Paso, Texas, were named the winners in the Yearbook Theme Package category of the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) Design of the Year Contest when NSPA announced the results this past weekend at the virtual Fall National High School Journalism Convention.
While El Dorado’s 2020 “That’s the Point” took the top prize, editors from The Lion staff (Sydney Anderson, Leah Boatman, Sydney Caldwell, Abby McAdams, Kayla Thompson) at McKinney High School in McKinney, Texas, finished fourth; while Le Flambeau (Lily Henkle, Rose Orrick, Nina Trouve) from Notre Dame de Sion High School in Kansas City, Missouri finished fifth.
The Yearbook Spread category was filled with entries from Walsworth Yearbooks schools, including the following:
- 2nd – Kayla Thompson; McKinney High School, McKinney, Texas
- 3rd – Bridgette Hahn, Jayden Murray, Kayla Ramos; Hagerty High School, Oviedo, Florida
- 4th – Christine Berberian; El Camino Real Charter School, Valley Village, California
- 5th – Allison Dragoo; Blue Valley Northwest High School, Overland Park, Kansas
- Honorable Mention – Kate Perez; Gulliver Preparatory School, Miami, Florida
- Honorable Mention – Lilli Haire, Lauren Shore; Davie County High School, Mocksville, North Carolina
- Honorable Mention – Rachel Lane, Reagan Petersen; Aledo High School, Aledo, Texas
In the Illustration category, Ella Hutnick from Blue Valley Northwest placed second.