McNulty, Sarmiento and Young among those named 2017 Rising Stars by JEA
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
Susan McNulty from J.W. Mitchell High School in New Port Richey, Florida, Veronica Sarmiento, CJE, from Seminole High School in Sanford, Florida, and Andrew Young from Woodlands Junior High School in Fayetteville, Arkansas – all Walsworth Yearbooks customers – were among those chosen as 2017 recipients of the Rising Star Award from the Journalism Education Association (JEA).
McNulty is in her third year as the yearbook and newspaper adviser at J.W. Mitchell (fourth year of teaching journalism), where she has a full schedule of journalism classes in the school of 2,100 students.
Sarmiento became the adviser at Seminole five years ago, after 20 years of experience in graphic design.
Young is in his third year as the yearbook adviser at Woodlands. Already in that short time, his staffs have been recognized in JEA’s Middle School/Junior High Media Contest.
Each year, JEA recognizes advisers with up to five years of experience who show promise as up-and-coming advisers. Nominations for the Rising Star Award can come from scholastic press associations, publishing companies, fellow teachers, students and parents. This year JEA recognized 10 advisers:
- Travis Armknecht, CJE, Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, Missouri
- Kate Comeford, Phoenix Military Academy, Chicago, Illinois
- John Horvath, Hill Country Christian School, Austin, Texas
- Jordyn Kiel, CJE, Francis Howell North High School, St. Charles, Missouri
- Dennis Leizear, CJE, Padua Academy, Wilmington, Delaware
- Susan McNulty, J.W. Mitchell High School, New Port Richey, Florida
- Alicia Merrifield, The Village School, Houston, Texas
- Tim Ryckman, Rocky Heights Middle School, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- Veronica Sarmiento, CJE, Seminole High School, Sanford, Florida
- Andrew Young, Woodlands Junior High School, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Each Rising Star winner will be honored during the adviser awards luncheon at the upcoming JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention, April 8, in Seattle.
Leave a Reply