Homestead’s Rauch named a JEA Rising Star
Written by Idea File Staff
Overland Park, Kan. (Jan. 9, 2014) – Rachel Rauch from Homestead High School in Mequon, Wis. – a Walsworth customer – has been chosen a 2014 recipient of the Rising Star Award from the Journalism Education Association (JEA).
Rauch is currently the yearbook and newspaper adviser at Homestead, where she also teaches Introduction to Publications, Advanced Publications, Honors Mass Media and Communications, and Honors American Literature.
In October, Rauch was named one of the recipients of the national S’Park Media Mentor Award by Ithaca College in Ithaca, N.Y., recognizing high school advisers who are committed to igniting a passion for media in their students.
“Winning the JEA Rising Star Award as a new adviser confirms that I am on the right track. Journalism teachers and advisers often work in isolation in their schools, so to receive recognition from national judges reassures me that I am offering a valuable program to my students,” said Rauch. “This award is definitely one of the biggest highlights of my teaching career.”
Each year, JEA recognizes advisers with up to five years of experience who show promise as up-and-coming advisers. Nominations for the Rising Star Award can come from scholastic press associations, publishing companies, fellow teachers, students and parents. This year the JEA recognized 14 advisers:
- Adam Dawkins, Regis Jesuit High School, Aurora, Colo.
- Adrienne Forgette, CJE, Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School, Oak Bluffs, Mass.
- Nima Kapadia, South Garland High School, Garland, Texas
- Melissa Larson, Mesa Middle School, Castle Rock, Colo.
- Jessica Leifheit, Castle View High School, Castle Rock, Colo.
- Pia Longinotti, Freeman High School, Rockford, Wash.
- Julieanne McClain, CJE, Hayes High School, Delaware, Ohio
- Cory Morlock, Academy School District 20, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Natalie Niemeyer, East High School, Des Moines, Iowa
- Megan Ortiz, Summer Creek High School, Houston
- Kyle Phillips, CJE, Washington High School, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Rachel Rauch, Homestead High School, Mequon, Wis.
- Jesse Sutherland, CJE, Waterford Kettering High School, Waterford, Mich.
- Kim Vinh, Sequoia High School, Redwood City, Calif.
Each Rising Star winner will be presented with a plaque during the adviser awards luncheon at the upcoming JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention, April 12, in San Diego.