So, What Do I Do with My Planning Kit?
Written by Jenica Hallman, CJE
By now, you should have received your 2023 Planning Kit, but especially for those new to yearbook, you might not be familiar with the items inside or know how to use them. We’ve got a breakdown of what’s inside and how it will help you.
What is a Planning Kit?
The Planning Kit is your survival toolbox for all things yearbook. It will help you get ready for the year, stay informed and find inspiration. The Planning Kit arr ives at the beginning of the school year in a box with a handle on top so you can keep it close by.
“Our Planning Kit is created with your school in mind,” Walsworth Yearbooks Marketing Manager Aimee Parsons said. “We include everything from educational materials that help teach the basics of yearbook, design, writing and photography to posters that help you sell your book and track your sales as well as everything in between for your classroom. A lot of amazing resources are located within that box, so open it up and see what you find.”
When you do open it, you will find everything you need to plan your yearbook creation and sales strategy inside. It’s one of the first things Walsworth Yearbooks Sales Representative Jenny Whightsil, CJE, introduces to new advisers.
“Our planning kit contains so many valuable resources to help advisers plan and promote their yearbook,” Whightsil said. “I encourage my new advisers to dive-in and utilize the contents to prepare, promote and plan, starting with the Adviser Timeline Planner that contains monthly checklists and lesson plans to the Yearbook Blueprint workbook, which is a valuable guide on how to develop your theme, cover and endsheets and finally to the Template Catalogue, which contains pre-designed layouts to use throughout your book. My personal favorites are the promotional Sales Posters and QR Codes that make it a breeze to promote your book sales!”
Here’s what is included:
- The Adviser Timeline. The calendar you know and love includes to-do lists for each month to help keep you and your staff on track. See all the exciting accessories and merchandise available to order from the Advisers Market to enhance the experience this year!
- The Yearbook Blueprint. Your blueprint for the year contains a comprehensive look at everything from how to implement your theme throughout your book to cover information and more.
- Formula Color/Color Combos foldout poster. Screens are not always an accurate representation of color, so you can rely on our Formula Colors poster so show you exactly how our Formulas colors will look printed and see the new ones added this year. See how specific colors pair with our Color Combos.
- Online Design Template Catalog. Start your book with our pre-made design templates so you can focus on the rest of yearbook.
- Wall Ladder. Plan each spread of the yearbook with this convenient wall poster that shows the organization of your yearbook.
- Press Passes. Send your reporter or photographer out with cool press passes. Helpful photography tips are also available.
- Wall Calendar and Stickers. Help your staff stay on track with deadlines and other key dates with this huge wall calendar. The fun stickers are icing on the cake.
- Yearbook Sales Poster Pack. Sell more yearbooks with these eye-catching posters to hang in the hallways.
- Sales Tracking Poster. Use this visual to motivate and encourage staff to meet your yearbook and ad sales goals.
- Photo Poster Pack. See basic photography rules in action with amazing award-winning photos taken by your students.
- Cut Out Background Instructional Poster. Easily teach your staff to cut out the background (COB) of their photos.
- Yearbook Snap Poster. Tell students and parents how to upload their photos to the yearbook staff using your code.
- Interviewing Poster. Help your staff make the most of every interview for writing and sharing the stories of the year.
You can also access these great materials from your 2023 Kit on yearbookhelp.com. We hope this is a great start to your staff creating the best yearbook your school has ever seen. Tell us what your favorite items are in the comments.