Make Your Photography One for the Books
Written by Paige Rome
Your pictures tell the story of the year and draw your readers into your book. They can educate, illuminate, entertain and make our world a more beautiful place.
Including eye-catching photos will improve any yearbook spread beyond measure. In a world full of iPhones, Androids and countless types of digital cameras, anyone can press the shutter button, but not everyone is a great photographer. Skill is required to shoot photos that tell the story of the year at your school.
Amazing Photo Resources
Make your photography one for the books with help from these great resources:
- Beautiful, eye-catching photos are what make a yearbook. Take a look at the amazing images in 101+ Great Yearbook Photos That Captured Our Attention and Why, and read what we thought made them stand out.
- Learn how to take quality photos by reviewing the Photojournalism: Telling Stories with Images unit of the Yearbook Suite
- Good images follow certain rules. Once you know them, your photos will improve. And when you practice them over and over, your photos can become great! Learn all the rules and how to apply them with Walsworth’s 5 Day Photography Lesson Plan.
- Remember that everyone can be a photographer! Your yearbook staffers are walking around every day with a state-of-the-art digital camera right in their pocket – their smartphones. In the eBook Using Your Smartphone to Capture Great Photos, learn how your staff can start using their smartphones and a few simple apps to take yearbook-quality pictures.
- See all the winners of the 2021 Photo Contest in our Photo Contest gallery. These photos exhibit truly exceptional skill.
- Listen to the How to take even better photos episode of the Ask Mike Host Mike Taylor, CJE, brings in photography expert Mark Murray. While listening, you’ll definitely crack a smile. More importantly, you’ll learn about photography. They cover everything from composition, etiquette, equipment all the way to white balance and more.
- Whether you are a beginner at photography or more advanced, our Photography Infographic (seen on the right) can be used as a quick reference guide to brush up on the basics. Download it here.
- The Digital Photography School is an amazing online resource that has an answer to just about any photography question you may have! Browse their page at digital-photography-school.com/.
- Need even more help? We have countless blogs, webinars, podcasts and more on our website at walsworthyearbooks.com. Just use the search bar in the upper right-hand corner and look for your topic.
If we don’t have the answer to your questions, let us know! We are more than happy to help you up your photography game.