By Design with Online Design: Photo editing with Aviary
Written by Elizabeth Braden, CJE
Online Design’s new photo-editing capability comes from Photo Editor by Aviary. The editing features appear as a bar across the top. Take a quick tour of Aviary in Online Design now!
1. Go to the Images area of Online Design and click on an image you have there. At the lower right are five buttons for working with images, including Edit Image.
2. Click on the Edit Image button. A task bar will appear along the top. Use the left and right arrows on the bar to scroll through the editing choices.
3. Removing Red Eye – Scroll to and click the Redeye button. Five round brushes will appear at the top. Select the one closest to the size of the red spot in the eye; you can move it over the eye to check the size and change brushes if needed. Click over the eye to make the red eye disappear. To keep changes, click Apply in the upper right. You can always click Cancel on the left to undo your work.
4. Brightness/Contrast – Like Levels in Photoshop, these two buttons enable you to make these adjustments by sliding the dot on the bar left or right.
5. Color fixes – The Blemish tool is similar to the Spot Healing Brush in Photoshop. It works like the Redeye button for removing spots. The Whiten tool can whiten teeth and other dull spots. Under Enhance is a Color Fix button that may also help improve your images.
6. Spot color – The Splash tool will give images a spot color effect. When you click on Splash, a color photo will turn black and white. Along with five brushes are the Eraser, Free Color and Smart Color buttons. Free Color allows you to paint color anywhere on the image. Smart Color samples the area you hover over, and when you click the mouse to paint it tries to paint only those areas with similar shades of that color.
Be sure to play with all of the tools so you know the amazing photo-editing options you have at your fingertips.