Yearbook advisers will learn how to level up their yearbook this summer at Adviser Academy
Written by Susan Wuckowitsch
Walsworth’s Adviser Academy in Kansas City will once again offer three full days of classes for brand new or experienced yearbook advisers this summer, July 7-9.
This year’s setting will be the InterContinental Hotel, located on Kansas City’s picturesque Country Club Plaza. The Adviser Academy gives yearbook instructors the opportunity to learn, network with other advisers and prepare for the upcoming school year without the distraction of students.
For new advisers
Adviser Academy has classes designed especially for new yearbook advisers on July 7-9, along with the option to tour Walsworth’s printing facilities or attend advanced tech training on July 10.
New yearbook advisers will have the opportunity to:
- Get tips and advice to specifically help with the first year
- Learn the basics of design, photography, coverage and theme
- Discover strategies for managing and training the yearbook staff
- Visit Walsworth’s printing facilities or attend additional tech training on July 10
- Ask questions that are on your mind
We’ll have two amazing instructors covering everything you need to know your first year. Courtney Hanks, MJE, advises an award-winning book at University High School in Orange City, Florida and Sabrina Schmitz, CJE, advised an award-winning yearbook at J.W. Mitchell High School in Trinity, Florida, before joining Walsworth so she could do yearbook full-time.
For experienced advisers
Experienced yearbook advisers have the chance to select classes that work best for them at Adviser Academy, including:
- How to carry a theme throughout the yearbook
- Elements of good yearbook design and how to teach it
- How to take great yearbook photos
- Management tips, such as organizing digital files, creating a deadline calendar and grading
- Experienced advisers will also have the opportunity to visit Walsworth’s printing facilities or attend additional tech training on July 10
For new advisers:
- Courtney Hanks, MJE, adviser at University High School, Orange City, Florida
- Sabrina Schmitz, CJE, Walsworth Yearbooks sales representative and former adviser at J.W. Mitchell High School, Trinity, Florida
For experienced advisers:
- Leland Mallett, CJE, adviser at Mansfield Legacy High School, Mansfield, Texas and 2018 Distinguished Yearbook Adviser
- Becky Tate, CJE, adviser at Shawnee Mission North High School in Mission, Kansas and 2019 H.L. Hall National Yearbook Adviser of the Year
- Dow Tate, adviser at Shawnee Mission East High School in Prairie Village, Kansas
- Jim Jordan, Walsworth Special Consultant and 1996 Yearbook Adviser of the Year, former adviser at Del Campo High School, Fair Oaks, California
- Mike Taylor, CJE, Walsworth Yearbooks journalism specialist and former adviser at Lecanto High School, Lecanto, Florida
All Academy attendees are invited to be our guest at a Welcome Reception where you will meet Don Walsworth, our president. Meet and brainstorm with advisers from across the country and leave with the support of an entire network and amazing resources.
Plus, the evenings give you a chance to explore Kansas City. You’ll be surrounded by the beautiful Plaza with architecture inspired by Seville, Spain, and giving rise to Kansas City’s nickname “The City of Fountains.”
For more information or to register, please visit walsworthyearbooks.com/adviseracademy.
Comments are closed.