Photoshop Fun: Creating an artistic photo edge
Written by Jamie Chambers
You know you have seen them — those artistic photo edges that decorate photographs and illustrations in magazines.
These edges help focus the attention on the subject in the image rather than the distracting background.
Follow the simple steps below and you can add custom edges to your photos when you need to highlight the person.
1. Open a new photo.
2. Create a new layer and fill it with white.
3. With the Polygonal Lasso tool, draw a random shape in the middle of the layer. With the area still selected, go to Select > Modify > Feather with a radius of about 35 pixels.
4. Fill the selected area with black, then deselect the area.
5. Next go to Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize. Adjust the cell size to your preference; try around 30. Then click OK.
6. Change the blending mode of the new layer to Screen. Your original image should appear, but now with your new custom photo edge.