Creekside student creates music for animated yearbook cover
Written by Evan Blackwell, CJE
In this week’s Cover Spotlight, let’s take a closer look at the cover of the 2017 yearbook from Creekside Middle School in Carmel, Indiana.
The Creekside staff chose to do an animated Yearbook 3D cover through their own Aurasma channel to go with their 2017 theme, “The Way it Works.” The video that plays once readers scan the cover using the Aurasma app is accompanied by music that was created by one of Creekside’s own students, 8th grader Ethan Meneghini.
Meneghini composed and created the electronic musical track for the yearbook using a software called Ableton Live 9. As an aspiring D.J., who has already worked at various local school events and fundraisers, the song fit in well with the style of music Meneghini prefers.
“The theme ‘The Way it Works,’ was all about how the way our school works is similar to a factory with cogs and wheels. There were continued themes of how people and organizations worked together to create our school community,” said Meneghini. “That heavily influenced the song’s melodies, mood, genre. I had to include some factory effects and noises since the theme includes gears, clockwork and Steampunk-styled imagery.”
You can see the image of Creekside’s yearbook cover above. To see the animation and hear the theme song, follow these instructions using your smartphone or mobile device:
- Visit the App Store or Google Play and download the Aurasma app.
- Launch the app and tap the account icon in the upper-left corner to log in or create a new account.
- On the Profile screen, tap Done.
- In the Discover Auras search box, type CreeksideYearbook17 and tap Search or Done.
- Select CreeksideYearbook17 and then tap Follow.
- Tap Back, and then Cancel to return to the Explore screen.
- Point the viewfinder over the image above and watch it come to life.
Leave a Reply