Photo by: Elise Baker
Twelve Walsworth Yearbooks schools represented in 2018 NSPA individual contest finalist selections
Written by Jenica Hallman
Schools across the country have been eagerly awaiting the announcement of the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) Individual Award finalist selections. Students and advisers can now take a break from hitting the refresh button on the NSPA website because the finalists have been announced and Walsworth is proud to celebrate our 12 schools that made the cut.
Yearbooks are eligible to participate in three categories: Design of the Year, with subcategories in Yearbook Spread, Yearbook Theme Package, Informational Graphic and Illustration; Picture of the Year, with subcategories in News/Feature, Sports Reaction, Sports Action and Environmental Portrait; and the newly-created Middle School, with subcategories in Story of the Year, Photo of the Year and Design of the Year. Ten selections were announced for each subcategory.
Walsworth offers our congratulations to all of the schools advancing, and we are particularly excited to see so many Walsworth schools represented as finalists for this national recognition.
- Bak Middle School for the Arts, West Palm Beach, Florida – News/Feature Picture of the Year (Kamryn Bailey), Middle School Story of the Year (Annabella Saccaro)
- Calvary Day School, Savannah, Georgia – Sports/Action Picture of the Year (Brandon Brooks)
- Clarke Central High School, Athens, Georgia – Environmental Portrait Picture of the Year (Zoe Peterson) – two selections
- Haltom High School, Haltom City, Texas – Yearbook Theme Package Design of the Year (Katelyn Prickett), Sports Action Picture of the Year (Amy Luu)
- H.B. Plant High School, Tampa, Florida – Yearbook Spread Design of the Year (Lauren Rose)
- Indian Trail High School & Academy, Kenosha, Wisconsin – News/Feature Picture of the Year (Haroon Mian)
- Legacy High School, Mansfield, Texas – Sports Reaction Picture of the Year (Kassidy Duncan), Sports Action Picture of the Year (Ellie Brutsché)
- Liberty North High School, Liberty, Missouri – News/Feature Picture of the Year (Grace Ericsson)
- McKinney High School, McKinney, Texas – Yearbook Spread Design of the Year (Lexi Harris, Aleyam Velazquez), Yearbook Theme Package (Michael Gutierrez, Lexi Harris, Grayson Henry), Sports Action Picture of the Year (Jourdan Williams)
- Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, Kansas – Yearbook Theme Package Design of the Year (Lainie Duckworth, Libby Frye), News/Feature Picture of the Year (Olivia Howgill), Sports Action Picture of the Year (Elise Baker), Sports Action Picture of the Year (Taylor Fort)
- Shawnee Mission Northwest High School, Shawnee, Kansas – Yearbook Spread Design of the Year (Emilia Battles)
- Woodland Junior High School, Fayetteville, Arkansas – Middle School Design of the Year (Ariadna Ramirez), Middle School Photo of the Year (Finn Lawless), Middle School Photo of the Year (Rose Long)
For a complete list of finalists, visit the NSPA website. Be sure to check their website next week for additional finalists to be announced for Cartoon of the Year, Digital Story of the Year (new category), Story of the Year, Social Justice Reporting (new category), Portfolio of the Year (new category) and Best Use of Social Media (new category). Winners in each category will be announced at the JEA/NSPA Fall High School Journalism Convention Nov. 1-4, 2018, in Chicago.