Food, fun and yearbook in October
Written by Elizabeth Braden, CJE
October begins the holiday frenzy that continues through New Year’s Day, and the yearbook staff can have plenty of team-building fun with all the holiday festivities.
One idea is to join Walsworth as we dress up for Halloween. Go to facebook.com/yearbooks to Become a Fan of the Walsworth Yearbooks Fan Page. Come to school dressed for the holiday and share your pictures with us. Not allowed to dress up at school? Then share pictures of your staff celebrating, maybe using one of the ideas below. Then, see how Walsworth employees dress up and celebrate. We’re pretty scary, you know!
Anything goes better with food, including working on the yearbook. The ideas below include eating and playing with food. Use them to guide your October food choices. The observances are listed at butlerwebs.com/holidays/october/htm, but the ideas are ours.
• October is Dessert Month, so let parents get creative with their donations.
• It’s Pasta Month, so let everyone make an elbow macaroni and yarn necklace.
• Pizza Month may be a good time to have your staff try pizza with different toppings.
• Pretzel Month allows you to have a low-fat snack alternative in your room. Let your staff eat twists and build with the sticks.
• For Vegetarian Month, eat spaghetti without meat in the sauce for a work night.
• Candy Corn Day is Oct. 30. Have a couple of bags on hand.
• Treat season. Using fall or Halloween as the theme, ask staffers to bring their favorite candy to share. Or have staff or parents make Halloween cookies or cupcakes.
• Dress up while you eat. If the student body is allowed to dress for Halloween, let them vote on the most imaginative costume, with candy to the winner. If they do not dress for school, have them bring items and take three minutes in class to put them on. Then have the class vote on the best costume. Or, have students bring photos of themselves as children dressed for Halloween to display on the wall.