Come visit the Walsworth Yearbooks booth in D.C. this week
Written by Shiloh Scott
We’ll be having a blast at the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in Washington, D.C., this week! If you’re around, be sure to swing by Booth 139 in Hall A for a fun time! The enormous Walsworth booth is located near the registration booths and impossible to miss. We’ll be there Thursday, Nov. 21 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Here are some of the booth activities you won’t want to miss:
- Photo ops! Display your yearbook pride with our two great spots for pictures.
- YBK Life backdrop – This giant backdrop is made from reclaimed pallet wood with the words “YBK Life” on it. It was created as an eye-catching backdrop for our booth wall, but it’s too good for staffs not to pose in front of it!
- Stack of books window – Who doesn’t want to be framed in yearbooks? Take your picture in a window built of stacked yearbooks for ultimate yearbook nerd cred.
- Button making. Pick from 15 different designs and have a button made right in front of you!
- Book browsing. A comfy area with giant bean bags and cushy Astroturf for when you want to relax and check out the great work other yearbook staffs are doing. What better way to get inspired? Look through the many sample books on display, including our President’s Collection.
- Games! Gather your friends and play a giant version of Jenga.
- Low battery (literally)? Plug in your phone at our charging station and let your device juice up while you enjoy the rest of the booth.
- Yearbook consults. Two well-known names in the yearbook industry will meet with staffs to offer yearbook critiques and talk about all things yearbook!
- Ask Mike – Mike Taylor, CJE, will meet with staffs for 30-minute sessions. Must be signed up in advance. He will be handing out WYPN Ask Mike mugs and scratchpads to advisers and staffs he meets with.
- Yearbook Chat with Jim – Jim Jordan will meet with staffs for 30-minute sessions. Must be signed up in advance. He will be handing out WYPN Yearbook Chat with Jim mugs and scratchpads to advisers and staffs he meets with.
- Wall of Technology. See what’s going on! Our giant wall of technology features an 80” screen and six smaller screens displaying photos from our photo contest, current promotions and award winners while lively tunes play.
- Yearbook AR demos. We’ll show you some of the amazing things you can do with the Yearbook AR app.
- We’ll be handing out sheets of stickers to advisers and students alike. Display your yearbook pride on your water bottle, phone case or laptop!
But wait! There’s prizes!
Advisers have three different opportunities to take home goodies for themselves and their staffs.
- Starbucks gift card. The first 150 advisers to visit the Walsworth booth will receive a $5 Starbucks gift card.
- Prize wheel. Advisers can spin the wheel to win a one-hour Skype session with our yearbook experts, their own copy of our ideation book Possibilities, the complete Yearbook Suite curriculum, or other yearbook prizes!
- Stocked mini fridge. Don’t miss this chance to spoil your yearbook staff! Advisers can sign up to win one of our two mini fridge prizes. These retro-styled mini fridges come stocked with Goldfish crackers, Pop Tarts, pistachios, KIND granola bars, microwave popcorn, LaCroix water, Atomic Fireball candy, Gatorade G2, Twizzlers and Izze sparkling juice. Enter to win at the Walsworth booth. We’ll deliver the mini fridges to the winners’ schools.
Don’t miss these Walsworth presenters!
Walsworth people really know their yearbook stuff. Don’t believe us? Just attend one of their sessions!
- Leadership zen starts now. Jill Chittum, MJE, and Mike Taylor, CJE, will walk advisers and staffs through some cool tricks, hacks and simple procedures that can be implemented as soon as you get back to school. 9 a.m. Friday, Marriott Salon 3, Lobby Level
- Why did you choose that photo? Knowing how to select the appropriate photo for your yearbook will add interest and intrigue to your spread and your storytelling! Join Taylor and Leland Mallett, CJE, of Legacy High School in Mansfield, Texas. 10 a.m. Friday, Marriott Salon 3, Lobby Level
- Great photos anywhere. The best camera is the one you have with you! Brooke Renna Pang, CJE, will show you how to get great photos with the camera you almost always have with you: your phone! Noon Friday, Washington 1, Exhibition Level
- Yearbook Chat with Jim podcast – live! Come be a part of a live podcast. YCWJ host Jim Jordan will interview guests from JEA, NSPA, the local convention committee, and audience members! 1 p.m. Friday, Exhibit Hall A, Exhibition Level
- How did they do that? Some of the top yearbook designers in the country start with inspiration from a professional, then make it their own. Jordan and Christina Porcelli, of H.B. Plant High School in Tampa, Florida, show you how to take your book to the next level using this technique. 8 a.m. Saturday, Lincoln 2, Exhibition Level
- The look. The story. The image. Yearbook staffs use design, copy and photography to capture the attention of in-school readers and national critique services. Join Taylor and Jordan as they share some of the amazing ways publications tell their stories. 10 a.m. Saturday, Lincoln 5, Exhibition Level
- Content-driven design. Capture the year in a beautiful format. Taylor and Sabrina Schmitz, CJE, will walk you through the steps to get the spreads, stories and coverage you need and create stories with a stronger design appeal. 11 a.m. Saturday, Lincoln 5, Exhibition Level