Ready to create a 2014 yearbook that your readers won’t soon forget? Then get set to attend Walsworth’s Adviser Academy in Kansas City this July and prepare for the year with help from some of the best yearbook instructors. Book your seat today!
The fun, interactive, three-day Academy is custom-made for your yearbook situation, whether you are a brand new or more experienced adviser.
Take in three full days of sessions, with an optional tour of Walsworth’s printing facilities available on July 12. Enjoy an amazing opening night dinner on Friday at Kansas City’s historic Union Station, plus a fun group night out on Saturday at one of K.C.’s most popular entertainment districts.
- Sessions taught by instructors with time in the classroom trenches
- New advisers will learn all the yearbook basics needed to get prepared for the year
- Experienced advisers will review all the latest trends and leave with real classroom resources
- Ample opportunity to socialize and brainstorm with other advisers from all over the country
- When: Friday, July 12, to Monday, July 15
- Where: Kansas City, Mo., and Marceline/Brookfield, Mo.
- What: Academy sessions will take place on Saturday, Sunday and Monday; Optional tour of Walsworth’s printing facilities will take place on Friday, July 12
- Accommodations: Westin Crown Center
- Cost: $155, which includes tuition, breakfast, lunch, welcome dinner on July 12 and ticket to group outing on July 13
The Academy offers tracks to meet the needs of every adviser, plus the opportunity for additional sessions.
- Track One — Advisers new to the job will learn everything they need to know to be successful. Topics covered include basic yearbook skills, staff organization, staff motivation, deadline management, curriculum, ladder and book organization, creating a budget, theme development, coverage, design, grading, distribution and legal concerns.
- Track Two — Experienced advisers will learn how to make their yearbook program better. Topics covered will include writing, design, photography, coverage, book organization, the latest trends and teaching strategies. Advisers will work together with the instructors and other attendees to develop practical lesson plans and materials that can be taken back to the classroom and used to train the staff.
- Specialized Training — The Academy schedule will also include elective sessions for you to choose from throughout the weekend, with topics ranging from technology training on Online Design, InDesign and Photoshop, to Photojournalism and a variety of other yearbook topics.
The more you understand how your yearbook is produced, the more efficiently you and your staff can work through the printing process. During the optional tour of Walsworth’s Prepress and Printing and Bindery facilities available on Friday in Brookfield and Marceline, Mo., see how pages go through the production and printing process. Meet key plant personnel and customer service representatives.