YAY! Your Awesome Year and Your Awesome Yearbook begin at Walsworth's Adviser Academy in Kansas City. The Academy offers invaluable training and networking. You'll be prepared for the school year ahead with help from some of the best yearbook instructors!
The fun, interactive Academy is custom-made for your yearbook situation, whether you are a brand new or more experienced adviser.
Take in three full days of sessions, with an optional tour of Walsworth’s printing facilities available on July 11. Enjoy an amazing opening night dinner on Friday at Milano Italian Dining, plus an optional group night out on Saturday at the Kansas City Royals game.
- Sessions taught by instructors with time in the classroom trenches
- New advisers will learn all the yearbook basics needed to be prepared for the year
- Experienced advisers will review all the latest trends and leave with real classroom resources
- Ample opportunity to socialize, brainstorm and network with other advisers from all over the country
- When: Friday, July 11, to Monday, July 14
- Where: Kansas City, Mo., and Marceline/Brookfield, Mo.
- What: Academy sessions will take place on Saturday, Sunday and Monday; Optional tour of Walsworth’s printing facilities and the CJE exam will take place on Friday, July 11
- Accommodations: Sheraton Crown Center
- Cost: $355, which includes tuition, breakfast, lunch and welcome dinner.
- Registration Deadline: Friday, June 20
The Academy offers tracks to meet the needs of every adviser, plus the opportunity for additional sessions.
- Track One — Advisers new to the job will learn everything they need to know to be successful. Topics covered include basic yearbook skills, staff organization, staff motivation, deadline management, curriculum, ladder and book organization, creating a budget, theme development, coverage, design, grading, distribution and legal concerns.
- Track Two — Experienced advisers will learn how to make their yearbook program better. Topics covered will include writing, design, photography, coverage, book organization, the latest trends and teaching strategies. Advisers will work together with the instructors and other attendees to develop practical lesson plans and materials that can be taken back to the classroom and used to train the staff.
- Specialized Training — The Academy schedule will also include elective sessions for you to choose from throughout the weekend, with topics ranging from technology training on Online Design, InDesign, Photoshop and Photojournalism to a variety of other yearbook topics.
The Plant Tour
The more you understand how your yearbook is produced, the more efficiently you and your staff can work through the production process. During the optional tour of Walsworth’s Prepress and Printing and Bindery facilities available on Friday in Brookfield and Marceline, Mo., see how pages go through the production and printing process. Meet key plant personnel and customer service representatives, and prepare to be wowed!
Certified Journalism Educator (CJE) exam
This certification from the Journalism Education Association demonstrates that you are a professional journalism educator committed to scholastic journalism. If you would like to take the CJE exam, go to the JEA website, determine which application option applies to you, and then open that Application Form. Each application lists the materials you must provide. Your application packet is due to JEA at the address on the form by May 31.